What are Public Health Clinics?
Health Clinics act as your first point of contact for any medical needs.
Ensure that you keep the contact details of your nearest Health Clinic handy. If you are feeling unwell, contact them to seek advice from a Te Marae Ora representative.
Where are they located?
There are five (5) Health Clinics located in Rarotonga and two (2) in Aitutaki. See the tabs below for more information
What are the Health Clinics responsible for?
Health Clinics are responsible for but not limited to:
- Phone Consultations
- Contact Tracing and Surveillance
- Dressing/ Wound Care
- Medication Refills
- COVID-19 RAT testing
- Maternal Child Health
- Nursing Consultation Immunization
- COVID-19 Case Management
If you are concerned about your health after hours, please call 22664 to talk to a doctor. They will advise the appropriate next steps.
The Emergency 999 hotline at Hospital Health Services will still be available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
There will be five (5) Health Clinics operating from the ten (10) Puna on Rarotonga.
The Rarotonga Health Clinics will be staffed by nurses, community health workers; and doctors will visit weekly. Oral health and mental health services will also be providing at these Health Clinics. These clinics will be open Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm.
The Health Clinics will be situated at the following five locations.
- Tupapa/Maraerenga (opposite Mangaia Hostel) phone 28181 or 0800 1803
- Blackrock (almost opposite Sunset Resort) phone 28185 or 0800 1807
- Matavera (next to Matavera Pre-School, inland side) phone 28189 or 0800 1813
- Tepuka/Nikao (between Tereora College and Nikao Field, next to main road, inland side) phone 28186 or 0800 1806
- Titikaveka (opposite Titikaveka Fire Station, next to CIIC Sunday School, seaside) phone 28190 or 0800 1810
A Health Clinic will operate from the hospital on Aitutaki as well as from the COVID-19 Operations Centre (COC) in Arutanga.
The COC is staffed by an Operations Manager, Health Information Officer and administration staff. Other personnel will staff these clinics as required: a nurse, health officers, Police and community taskforce members.
The Health Clinic will be open Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm. Should a COVID-19 case in the community eventuate, it will be open 24/7.
The Rarotonga Hospital will be used for emergencies only.
The Primary Health Care Centre (formerly Tupapa Outpatient facilities) will be open Monday to Sunday, 8am to 4pm.
Specialist clinics e.g., Surgical, Medical, Obstetrics/Gynaecology and Paediatric services are by appointment only.
Radiology (X-ray) and laboratory services will also need a referral from your attending doctor and by appointment if non urgent.
On Arrival to the Hospital for appointments or emergency department, please:
- Use the hand wash station
- Surgical masks will be provided, please wear them
- If you have cough and cold symptoms you will need to put the mask on before you can be screened
- Please observe physical distancing at the waiting area.
Visiting hours and protocols
- Monday to Saturday 2:00pm to 3:00pm
- Sundays 2:00pm to 5:00pm
- People visiting patients must be at least 12 years and older and must either be fully vaccinated or must take a Rapid Antigen Test prior to arriving at the Hospital. This is for the safety of the patients who are already vulnerable due to their high-risk situation.
- There can only one visitor per patient at any one time.
- Children under 12 years of age are not to visit the Emergency Department or any of the wards unless they are there to see a doctor or are being admitted as a patient.
Hospital Health Services seeks the cooperation of the public and asks respectfully that we all follow the above instructions. Doing so will help to keep all of us safe.
For any further clarification please call 22664 and you will be directed to the appropriate responsible person to answer your inquiry.
If you have any COVID-19 related queries or are seeking any advice regarding COVID-19 there are hotline numbers set up to take your calls.
Rarotonga call: 0800 1888
Aitutaki call: 0800 1222
Other Important Contact below:
Emergency (Rarotonga): 999
Hospital Health Services: 22664
Primary Health Care (formerly Tupapa Outpatient facilities): 0800 1801
Mental Health Assistance: 0800 1814
Public Health: 29110
Oral Health: 29312